Ronald McDonald House Scranton – Our Story

For over 30 years the Ronald McDonald House Scranton has been providing a “Home Away from Home” for families with critically ill or injured children receiving treatment at Northeast Pennsylvania medical facilities.
We do this through our Scranton Ronald McDonald House and our Ronald McDonald Family Rooms at Moses Taylor Hospital, Geisinger Community Medical Center, and Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center.

The Ronald McDonald House provides families a safe, supportive home near their hospitalized children. Families can come relax, have a meal, connect with other families in similar situations, and get a much needed good night’s rest. The Ronald McDonald Family Room provides a restful space within the hospital where families with a child in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit can watch some TV, check their email or enjoy a snack.

Help us keep families close for years to come. Please give generously.

Our mission

“To provide a home away from home for families with seriously ill or injured children in area Medical Facilities.”

We enhance our mission by establishing and managing Ronald McDonald Family Room programs in area hospitals that provide a comfortable, homelike environment for our families.

Our Mission & Core Programs

We do this through the Ronald McDonald House and Ronald McDonald Family Room Programs. You can help improve the life of a child today.

We have been providing these programs for over 30 years since a group of community leaders came together to open the Ronald McDonald House in Scranton in 1986. McDonald’s is a partner in care and provides, through local donations, about 10% of our operating budget. The other 90% comes from gifts from individuals, corporations, organizations, and foundations who support our mission.

We have received gifts from children who bring us their lemonade stand proceeds, gifts from individuals who create their own fundraising pages, annual donations from committed supporters, and gifts of all sizes, from $5.00 to $100,000.  Your donation will most likely fall in that category somewhere!

Give generously today so that we can continue to open our doors to many more families for years to come.

Our History

Our Doors Have Been Open For Over 30 Years

Since the day we opened the doors of the Ronald McDonald House Scranton in 1986, we have never closed them. Not for a day, not for an hour. Families depend on us, and we depend on the thousands of people who have supported us faithfully and who continue to support the RMH of Scranton to ensure that our doors are always open.

The First Ronald McDonald House – Philadelphia, 1974

In 1974 the first Ronald McDonald House opened its doors in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. At the time Kim Hill, the daughter of Philadelphia Eagles football player Fred Hill, was undergoing treatment for leukemia. Throughout Kim’s treatment, her father recognized the need for a supportive environment away from the hospital for families of seriously ill children. He enlisted the aid of his teammates and local McDonald’s restaurant owners to raise funds that would help purchase and renovate the first Ronald McDonald House.

The first Ronald McDonald House was named, not only because of McDonald’s fundraising support but also for the positive, hopeful, and fun-loving feeling Ronald McDonald was able to instill into the minds of so many children.

Today there are over 300 Ronald McDonald Houses located world-wide. Every Ronald McDonald House is autonomous and is owned by a not-for-profit corporation in the city where it is located.

Board Officers

Justin Davis

Patricia Stella
Vice President

Patricia Seliga

Margaret Lovecchio

Board Members

Jan Brown
Carol Chisdak
Pam DeNaples
Joseph Ferretti
Robert Kollra
John Mackey
Robert Markowski
Martin McGurrin
Carol Mueller – Founder
Steve Phillips
Fred Rinaldi, Esq.
Elaine Shepard
Joseph Tomko
Alice Vanston
Melvyn Wolk, M.D – Founder
Richard Bradshaw – Executive Director

Friends of the Board

Joseph Andriole, M.D.
Anthony Aquilina, M.D.
Ellen Beechko
Andrew Furman, M.D.
Paul Gionfriddo
William Hall, Esq.
James Martin
Berne McDonald
Joseph Perrotti, D.M.D.
Regina Peters
James Reid, Esq.
Raymond C. Rinaldi, Esquire
Vincent L. Ross, M.D.
J. Delfor Salazar M.D.

Board of Directors in Memoriam

Angelo Ciccotti
Herman S. Garey, M.D.
Mary Gastinger, R.N.
Peggy Pettinato
George Rubin, MCD                                            Adrian Samojlowicz                                              Sally Venesky


Richard T. Bradshaw
Executive Director

Benjamin Loomis
Resident Manager

Bridget Slagan
Family Room Coordinator