The Ronald McDonald House of Scranton – A Home Away from Home
With over 30 years of service to the Northeastern Pennsylvania area, we are honored to offer families a place to sleep, eat and relax while their children receive medical treatment at one of the area’s nearby medical facilities. The Ronald McDonald House of Scranton provides a restful, comfortable place for families to sleep, creating a “Home Away from Home” for families of seriously ill children.
Creating a “Home Away from Home” for Families
Private Bedrooms – Up to 4 people may stay in a room at the House. All bedrooms have comfortable beds with roll out beds available. All bedrooms have their own private bathroom as well. Three large suite rooms and four handicap accessible rooms are available.
Transportation – In many cases, transportation to and from the hospital may be difficult for families to navigate. In those instances, we may provide a voucher for families to alleviate some of the stress of finding a way back and forth.
Laundry Facilities – Residents may take advantage of our fully stocked laundry room.
Staying Connected – Wireless internet access is available throughout the House.
Community Areas – Unfortunately, due to the pandemic, we have had to close our community spaces for social distancing purposes. Because of this, every room is equipped with its own refrigerator, microwave and Keurig to provide a way for families to have all of the comforts of home right in their room.
Request A Room
BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR ROOM REQUEST, PLEASE READ AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU UNDERSTAND THE FOLLOWING:
- To ensure the continued safety and security of our guest families, the Ronald McDonald House of Scranton will require a criminal history background check for all adults ages 18 & older, including the patient, staying at the House. This includes all adult visitors staying overnight in a guest family’s room. An email address for each adult staying overnight must be provided.
- The Room Request you are about to submit is not a reservation. We may not have a room available for your family on your date of arrival. The information you are about to submit is for the purpose of putting your family on our waiting list.
- Families who have a child receiving inpatient or active outpatient treatment at a local hospital, and have a child 24 years of age or younger are eligible to stay with us if a room is available.
- Our Wheeler Avenue House is within close proximity to Moses Taylor Hospital, Geisinger Community Medical Center, Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center, First Hospital in Kingston, and St. Joseph’s Medical Center where families with children being treated are welcome to stay.
- It is very important that you have a back-up plan in place for alternative housing arrangements in the event our house is full and we are unable to accommodate your family.
- On the day of your requested arrival, we will call you between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. to inform you of the status of your room request.
- If we are unable to accommodate you, we may be able to assist you with hotel arrangements at one of our local hotel partners who offer our families discounted rates.
- If your date of arrival changes or you need to cancel your room request, please call us at (570) 969-8998.
- The Scranton Ronald McDonald House is a communal living environment with children who may be immune suppressed, and it is extremely important that we ensure that there are safeguards in place to reduce the risk of infectious diseases spreading in the House. With questions or for more information, please call (570) 969-8998.
By filling out the form below you acknowledge you have read and understood this information, and to be redirected to the Room Request Form.
Ronald McDonald Family Room Program
The Ronald McDonald Family Room is an area set aside inside a medical facility serving pediatric patients intended to serve as a quiet rest area for family members of children admitted to the hospital for treatment. It replicates a home-like atmosphere when a parent needs a break from the “hospital environment”.
Help Keep Families Close
Research shows that a family presence in the hospital helps children cope better. Staying close by allows parents to better communicate with their child’s medical team and improves adherence to complicated treatment plans. You can make a difference for these families with your donation today.
At Moses Taylor Hospital
Moses Taylor Hospital we have provided two Ronald McDonald Family Rooms with one located just steps away from the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and one inside of Pediatrics each offering a unique place of refuge to families in the hospital. Some of the services available for families are:
A kitchen area with microwave and refrigerator, internet access, snacks, cold drinks and coffee, seating area with flat screen TV, opportunity to interact with other families or volunteers.
At Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center
The RMFR at Geisinger Medical Center of Wyoming Valley is a lounge style family room furnished with a TV room, kitchenette, comfortable furniture, dining table/work space, telecommunications, and Wi-Fi.
Serving families with the following:
- Wi-Fi and telecommunications services assist guests in communicating with family, friends, and even allowing some time to keep up on work place responsibilities.
- Area for children to play or do homework.
- Light drinks and snacks are available daily.
- Big screen television and comfortable sitting furniture to relax.*Assist the medical staff in having a quiet space for families to transition to while they care for the patient without interruption.
The staff and volunteers of the Ronald McDonald Family Room® work closely with hospital staff to provide the most comfortable and relaxing environment possible in order to support families as they are dealing with the illness of their child. Learn how you can become a Family Room volunteer.